From Inception to Delivery: How Value Stream Management and ValueOps from Broadcom Optimizes Business Processes
By: Doug Kalkowski, Baglan Rhymes
Value stream management (VSM) is a strategic approach to optimize and improve the flow of value to customers by identifying, analyzing, and optimizing the end-to-end business processes. It involves using data, metrics, and visualizations to measure the value stream’s performance and identify improvement areas.
Effective value stream management enables organizations to turn their ideas into valuable products and services quickly. It eliminates inefficient processes, streamlines workflows, enhances collaboration, and continuously improves the delivery process to optimize the value flow to the customer.
For organizations today, VSM is indispensable to stay competitive and meet the customer’s evolving needs. But value stream management (VSM) is a complex process that involves analysing and optimizing the dynamic value streams, which include entire workflows & processes required to deliver value to the customer. However, with the help of a robust VSM platform like ValueOps from Broadcom (Clarity + Rally), an organization can simplify and streamline VSM to fully harness its benefits.
In this blog post, let us explore the concepts of value stream management to understand how value stream management helps optimize the business process and how Clarity can facilitate and manage value streams. Then we will review how Rally can be used to enable an organization to deliver the value their customers need with speed, quality, and efficiency.
Key Concepts of Value Stream Management
The value stream is the sequence of activities that a product or service goes through from its inception to its delivery to the customer. This includes all the processes, people, and technologies involved in creating and delivering the product or service. The value stream is composed of two main types of activities: value-adding and non-value-adding. Value-adding activities are those that directly contribute to creating value for the customer, while non-value-adding activities are those that do not contribute to creating value but are necessary for the process to function.
Value stream management is the process of optimizing the value stream by reducing waste and improving the flow of value. This is done by identifying and eliminating non-value-adding activities, improving the efficiency of value-adding activities, and reducing the lead time for delivering value to customers. Value stream management also involves the use of data and metrics to measure the performance of the value stream and identify areas for improvement.
Benefits of Value Stream Management with ValueOps:
- Increased Efficiency: By identifying and removing unnecessary tasks, steps or processes that do not contribute to final value delivery. ValueOps provides a platform for improved collaboration and helps identify and remove the non-value-adding steps to improve efficiency while reducing costs.
- Improved Quality: ValueOps helps eliminate defects, bottlenecks, and other unnecessary steps that can negatively impact the quality of the value delivery. Rally embodies “Built-in Quality” by enabling teams to track and manage the quality with integrated test case management and defect tracking.
- Better Collaboration: By providing a single platform for managing work items, dependencies, and team communication, ValueOps helps break down silos and enhances cross-functional team collaboration.
- Faster Time-to-Market: Clarity provides real-time visibility into the value stream to aid teams in quickly identifying the issues and making necessary adjustments. Rally’s release and iteration planning features enable organizations to adequately manage and prioritize their work efficiently, reducing lead times and shortening time-to-market.
- Continuous Improvement: Rally’s powerful data analytics and reporting features help organizations eliminate defects and identify the areas of improvement to drive continuous improvement in their processes and workflows.
Implementing Value Stream Management with ValueOps
Implementing value stream management with ValueOps requires a shift in mindset and culture within the organization. It involves the adoption of a customer-centric approach and a focus on continuous improvement.
Some of the key steps involved in implementing value stream management with ValueOps include:
- Identifying the value streams: Implementing VSM starts with defining the value streams. With Clarity’s hierarchical work item structure and custom investment types, teams can now effectively map out their entire value stream in their terms and identify the non-value-adding and value-adding activities.
- Funding the value streams: As opposed to the traditional method of funding individual projects/epics, Clarity allows organizations to fund at the value stream level, eliminating countless hours spent negotiating individual project budgets and enabling flexibility to quickly adapt to market shifts.
- Aligning Delivery with Business Objectives: Once the value streams have been defined and funded in Clarity, the negotiations between business leaders and delivery teams can be aligned. Defining what teams want to achieve without being locked down to detailed budget restrictions allows delivery teams to execute business objectives more efficiently. Here, epics and features can be defined in Rally and synced back to their value steams in Clarity.
- Measuring and monitoring: The built-in integration between Clarity and Rally is what makes ValueOps the leading VSM platform. Delivery teams can plan and execute these objectives in an agile manner with Rally. Rally’s real-time data tracking and analytics dashboards enable organizations to effortlessly measure team performance while Clarity’s Roadmapping, hierarchies, and advanced reporting offerings enable business leaders to direct the value stream and monitor the ongoing progress.
- Continuous improvement: ValueOps drives success by bringing visibility into the performance of both the delivery teams and business. With iterative planning and feedback loops, Rally enables continuous improvement to help delivery organizations optimize their processes and workflows. Clarity brings it all together, enabling the business to see how the work being done provides value to their customers.
An effective Value Stream Management implementation with ValueOps from Broadcom eliminates inefficient activities, streamlines workflows, enhances collaboration, reduces time-to-market, and continuously improves the overall delivery process to optimize the value flow to the customer. When empowered with a robust value stream management platform like ValueOps, an organization can harness the value stream management to unlock a new level of efficiency and value delivery that enables them to stay agile and competitive.
While frustrating, timesheets are an integral component of successful management. A typical resource manager oversees a team working on multiple projects simultaneously. The manager needs to ensure that the right people with the right skill sets are assigned to the appropriate projects as they arise, so a clear understanding of current and future capabilities and capacity is essential. For this, the manager needs to have a degree of certainty that the team is entering project time regularly and reliably.